Granite Kitchen Countertopsneeds to be maintained well, else over time they lose their shine, get scratched, and sometimes even cracked. It is important to be correctly informed regarding proper maintenance procedures for granite countertops. Owing to the availability of many assumptions regarding granite care, you may adopt a faulty technique. Here are a few tips to consider if you have granite in any of your spaces.
1. Most cleaning and maintenance techniques associated with granite countertops can be compared to similar techniques that apply to the maintenance and cleaning of most stone countertops. So using a mild solution of water and soap to remove any kind of dirt on the surfaces helps keep them clean. Always clean the surface using a soft cloth. Another good alternative is a sponge.
2. Always make use of hot pads or trivets on granite. Although Granite is resistant to heat, it is still recommended to use hot pads or trivets instead of putting your hot dishes from the oven on your countertop. It’s best to avoid anything that could damage the surface of the countertop.
3. Use coasters for cups and glasses and bottles, especially those containing alcohol and acidic beverages. Granite is tougher than other natural stones and withstands stains and scratches better, but it’s best to be prudent.
4. Consider using the professional repair and cleaning services offered by manufacturers of granite for major damages
Here are certain things that you should not do while caring for granite countertops.
1. Avoid generic products for cleaning. Regular and generic products found in the market like glass cleaners, bleaches, and various degreasers will only result in damage and stains when applied to granite countertops. The chemicals, acids, and alkalis present in these cleaning products are harmful to granite surfaces and should be avoided at all costs.
2. Avoid using ammonia, vinegar, orange, or lemon for cleaning. The use of warm water is more than enough for regular cleaning granite countertops and granite-safe cleaning products must be used during thorough cleaning sessions.
3. Avoid strong solution cleaners, bathroom tubs & tile cleaners- The powder and creamy cleaning agents of such nature contain small abrasives that have the power to dull or scratch granite surfaces.
4. Avoid standing or sitting on granite countertops. Although granite countertops are very durable and hard, they are usually not very flexible. Moreover, they lack a plywood backing, and therefore, the application of excess weight on one concentrated spot might cause cracks. With the help of this guide, you would now be able to take care of your granite countertops efficiently and properly. Make sure that you follow these steps, as well as the maintenance routines outlined above to ensure the best care and maintenance for your granite countertops